Now days eCommerce websites are very popular. Million of users shopping from online stores or eCommerce websites. eCommerce website not only sells products to millions of users but also hold their private information, photos, documents, bank detail etc. So user account security is an important priority for every eCommerce websites. So in this article, we demonstrated, why you should start using 2-step verification for an online store.
Existing Authentication Methods
Authentication means verifying the identity of someone (a user, device, or an entity) who wants to access data, resources, or applications. There are the many ways for authentication which we encounter in daily life , in which some of them listed below:
- Authentication by combination of Username and password
- Captcha Validation for authentication
- Email Verification
- Security Questions
Drawback of existing authentication methods
These are the drawbacks of existing authentication methods:
- Easy to hack login password : Only believe on the login password alone does not guarantee security. The Strong and complex password might be hacked if your password happens to fall into the wrong hands.
- Less secure as it has only one security layer of a password.
- Create or remember any security question. Suppose if you have 5 accounts on the different-different eCommerce website, then difficult to remember security question.
Need of 2-step verification for online store
In this age of hacking, and identity thefts, only believe on the login password alone does not guarantee security. The Strong and complex password might be hacked if your password happens to fall into the wrong hands. So here we need to add extra layer of security for our online store.
It’s important that only you have the ability to access your account details, update your password, access the data your store and keep up to date with your account. Two-step verification keeps your account and personal information as secure as possible.
2-step verification provides an extra layer of security for our eCommerce websites. To hack the two step verification account, hackers would not only have to know your login credentials, they’d also have to get a hold of your physical device(mobile). Two way authentication makes hacking your site harder. Below is the advantage of 2-step verification:
- The first advantage of using 2-step verification is that a higher level of security is added.
- Its purpose is to make hacker’s life harder and reduce fraud risks.
Looking for ready-made solution
For some of you, it would be difficult to implement 2-step verification for an online store but don’t be disappointed. These are the readily available solution which can add one more security layer for your online store. Some of the solutions are:
- Sync System Magento Mobile verification
- Magento Mobile Verification Plugin By iPragmatech
- Two Factor Authentication by MiniOrange
- Two step authentication for Opencart
2-Step verification is a simple and effective way to protect your eCommerce website. It helps to secure the login process and force a user to verify the unique code received to their mobile via SMS. The other advantage of having this plugin is that it protect user’s account from hacking as if someone tries to login from the different system then the user would immediately know that someone is trying to access their account and the hacker would need a verification code to login to the site.